Church of Archangelos Michail, Pedoulas

Εκκλησία Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας, Церковь Михаила Архангела,


Εκκλησία Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής ΔημοκρατίαςIn the central part of Cyprus, in the mountains of the Troodos range, some of the most important monuments of the history of Byzantine painting have survived.

These are the painted churches which have to this day preserved brilliant examples of various trends of Byzantine and post-Byzantine monumental art, from the 11th to the 19th century. Ten of these churches have so far been granted World Cultural Heritage status by UNESCO.

The church of Archangel Michael is situated in a central area of the Troodos mountain range, in the valley of Marathasa, in the village of Pedoulas. In 1985 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range.

According to the dedicatory inscription above the north entrance, the church was built and decorated with frescoes in 1474, with the donation of priest Vasilios Chamados. The priest, accompanied by his wife and two daughters, is depicted above the dedicatory inscription, offering Archangel Michael a model of the church.

Εκκλησία Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής ΔημοκρατίαςThis church belongs to the typical single-aisled, timber-roof type of the Troodos region. The narthex, which extends to its south and west side, was used as a loft due to the small size of the church. The loft was used by the women, while only men entered the main church.

 The church of Archangelos Michail is one of the few churches in Cyprus which preserves the name of the artist who decorated it. His name was Minas and he was a local painter who came from the area of Marathasa.

Minas was a typical “naïve” painter with a conservative style, and followed the Byzantine tradition. However, he was aware of the artistic trends of his time and place which explains the influx of western elements in his work. During this period many contemporary churches were decorated with wall-paintings of the same style.

Εκκλησία Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής ΔημοκρατίαςThe wooden templon screen is worth mentioning, which also dates to 1474, with painted decoration consisting of coats-of-arms. It is one of the best-preserved examples of the kind in Cyprus.

On the epistyle one can notice the painted coats-of-arms of the medieval Kingdom of Cyprus. Next to it is the double-headed eagle, the emblem of the Palaiologan dynasty, the last kings of the Byzantine Empire.

Only a few metres to the west of the church of Archangelos Michail, in a specially arranged room of the old primary school, a collection of portable icons and other objects of mainly religious art are kept. These come from the Byzantine churches of the village of Pedoulas, and are dated from the 13th to the 20th century.

Source: Department of Antiquities, Republic of Cyprus

Listen to the conducted tour here. Subject: Church of Archangelos Michael in Pedoulas

More information about the Cypriot monuments of UNESCO see here

District: Nicosia

Address: Pedoulas 2850 Nicosia

Accreditation: Metropolis of Morphou & UNESCO

Hours: The church is open daily from 08:00 to 20:00.

Operation Period: All year

Facilities: The church is accessible for people in wheelchairs. Parking is available. There are restrooms but no for people in wheelchairs. There are brochures that are given free and are all monuments of Pedoulas in Greek, English and Russian. There is next to the Byzantine museum shop where visitors can buy souvenirs such as pictures and books (Greek and English). Transactions in cash only.

Telephone / Fax: 00357-99348751 / 00357-22953344

Website / Email:,,,, .cy

Admission: Free. Accepted voluntary contributions.

Ticket Fee: –

Map Google Map:

View larger map



Εκκλησία Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας


Τοιχογραφίες Εκκλησίας Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ στον Πεδουλά Πηγή: Tμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *