Its formation may be considered the Cypriots’ scientific riposte to the callous period of Palmer’s rule as Governor (1933-1939) that followed the uprising of 1931; as a reaction to the policy of de-hellenisation that the British instituted at that time.
The 24 founding members gathered at a General Meeting on 17 April 1936 in the Nicosia Pancyprian Gymnasium. They approved its constitution and elected the first board of management, consisting of Constantinos Spyridakis as president, Savva Christi vice-president, Achilleas Emilianides secretary, Antonis Indianos treasurer and as members Nearchos Clerides, George Papacharalambous and Costas Prousis.
Presidents of the Society have been: Constantinos Spyridakis (1936-1976); George Papacharalambous (1976-1986); Kypros Chrysanthis (1986-1998); George Ioannides (1998-1999) and Andreas Mitsides (1999-2006).
The Society is housed in the palace of the old Archbishopric that was offered to them for this purpose by Archbishop Makarios II (1947-1950) and Makarios III (1950-1977), of blessed memory.
The basic objectives of the Society are the collection, preservation, study and publication a) of the historical material related to all periods of Cyprus History; b) of the linguistic material referring to the history and evolution of the Cypriot dialect; c) of the folklore material from all periods of Cyprus history and d) the collection of works of Cypriot folk art and their preservation, study and promotion.
The main activities of the Society are:
- The annual publication of a scientific newsletter entitled “Cypriot Studies”. To date 68 volumes have been put in circulation. In this newsletter are published studies referring to the history, archaeology, folklore, language, art, education of Cyprus, and other related subjects. In 1946 it was awarded a prize by the Athens Academy.
- A series of independent publications referring to aspects of Cyprus culture. Twelve of these have been published so far. By way of indication we may refer to: Angeliki Pieridou, Cypriot Folk Art, 1980; Andreas and Judith Stylianou, 1971; Eleni Papademetriou, Ethnographics of the Karpass, 1992; Margarita Demetriou, Shadow Theatre, 2004.
- The founding of the Museum of Folk Art (1937). Here are displayed weaving, lace work, wood carvings, and silverwork, basket-weaving and other artefacts from the island’s folk art. The Museum is housed on the ground floor of the old residence of the Archbishopric which was offered to the Society for this purpose by Archbishop Makarios II (1947-1950), of blessed memory. Most actively involved in the formation and enrichment of the Folk Art Museum were Adiamantios Diamantis of blessed memory and the folklorist Eleni Papademetriou.
- The stocking of the library with books, mainly of Cyprological subject matter, as well as with a number of manuscripts.
- The organisation of an International Cyprological Conference, of which three have been held to date (1969, 1982 and 1996) and whose minutes have been published. In 2008 it is expected that the fourth Cyprological Conference will be take place on the 29 April.
- The organisation of scientific lectures and announcements concerning subjects related to Cyprus and her culture.
For its activities and contribution the Society of Cypriot Studies was honoured with a prize by the Athens Academy on 24 March 1946. The main financial supporters of the Society are the Archbishopric of Cyprus, the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Cyprus Tourism Organisation. There has been periodically some significant financial support from Kykkos Monastery, the Leventis Foundation, the Paraskevaides Foundation and others.
Source: Society of Cypriot Studies
Address: Archbishop Kyprianou Square Nicosia PO 21436, 1508 Nicosia
Accreditation: Society of Cypriot Studies
Operation Period: All Year
Hours: Tuesday – Friday 09:30 – 16:00 , Saturday 09:00 – 13:00. It is always closed Sunday and Monday, and on public holidays.
Facilities: The museum is accessible for wheelchair because it is a listed building and is Grade-separated internal and external spaces chorous. Public health in the courtyard of the museum, but there are people with wheelchair. Not there is private parking. Visitors to the museum can be parked in public parking on the street Pentadaktylou. It is also possible to park in St Barnabas Street, just behind the building of the museum, but the Archbishop Kyprianou Square. Carry out a brief tour of the history of the buildings and artifacts found at the curator of the museum, where visitors of the museum wants to tour though. The tour is done and in English. Guide of the museum, which presents exhibits selective Margarita Demetriou Treasures of the Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus (the old name of the museum), The book is available in Greek and English. The price is € 15. Yes, all transactions (buying tickets, souvenirs from the gift shop, etc.) in the museum made by cash only. Yes, there is a shop in the museum. The products are: Lefkara embroidery, fabrics, cocoons, figures of shadow theater, stained glass, books, etc. E-shop: http://cypriotstudies.
Website / Email: www.cypriotstudies.org / firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone / Fax: 00357-22432578 / 00357-22343439
Entrance Fee: € 2 regular ticket and concession fare € 1 (students, pensioners)
Ticket Fee: The entrance to the museum only.
Map Google Earth: