The History of Cyprus

The History of Cyprus

State Symbols

The Cyprus Flag

The Cyprus Flag was decided on in 1960, following the independence of Cyprus. October 1st was set as Independence Day.

The colour of the Cyprus Flag

The flag has a white background. At the centre of the flag there is the shape of the map of Cyprus in the yellow colour of copper (144-C). The olive branches under the outline of Cyprus are green (336-C)

The international colours of the Cyprus flag, according to the Pantone Matching System-pms, are the following:

Colour of copper Pantone 1385
Colour green Pantone 574
Size: Ratio 3×2

Article 4 of the Constitution of the Republic of Cyprus provides the following in respect of the flag of Cyprus:

«The Republic of Cyprus shall have its own flag of neutral design and colour, chosen jointly by the President and the Vice-President of the Republic.

The authorities of the Republic and any public corporation or public utility body created by or under the laws of the Republic shall fly the flag of the Republic and they shall have the right to fly on holidays together with the flag of the Republic both the Greek and the Turkish flags at the same time.

The Communal authorities and institutions shall have the right to fly on holidays together with the flag of the Republic either the Greek or the Turkish flag at the same time.

Any citizen of the Republic or any body, corporate or unincorporate other than public, whose members are citizens of the Republic, shall have the right to fly on their premises the flag of the Republic or the Greek or the Turkish flag without any restriction».

The Emblem of the Republic of Cyprus

The Emblem of the Republic of Cyprus represents a white dove carrying in its beak an olive branch. The dove is placed on a shield in the yellow colour of copper, a metal which is directly related to the age-old history of Cyprus. In the lower part of the shield, the year of the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus, i.e. 1960 is inscribed. The shield is encircled by two green olive branches, which together with the white dove constitute indelible symbols of peace.

The National Anthem

The decision concerning the National Anthem of the Republic of Cyprus was taken by Council of Ministers on 16 November, 1966. According to this decision the music of the Greek National Anthem was adopted as the National Anthem of Cyprus.

National Anthem of Cyprus

Decision no. 6133

14. The Council decided to adopt the music of the National Anthem of Greece as National Anthem of Cyprus.


Presidential Palace

The Presidential Palace was formerly the Government House, the residence of the British Governor of Cyprus at the time of the British rule (1878-1960).

The first British High Commissioner Sir Garnet Wolseley, who arrived in Cyprus in 1878, stayed temporarily at the Metochi of Kykko Monasteri, outside the walls of Nicosia. Soon he changed residence and lived at the Commissioner’s House, which was a wooden house imported from abroad and placed at the grounds of the present day Presidential Palace.

In 1925 the Commissioner’s house was renamed Government House.

In the course of the popular uprising of 1931 was burned down and a decision was taken to build a new Government House based on Cyprus traditional architecture.

The plans of the new Government House were prepared by a British firm and its construction was undertaken by the Cyprus Public Works Department. It was preceded by visits to various traditional buildings in Cyprus in the course of which worthwhile local architectural elements were recorded and copied.

The Byzantine and gothic elements, but also some Turkish elements, compose the architecture of the building. The series of columns on the ground floor are based on a similar construction at the Aheiropoiitos Monastery near Lapithos. The carved capital and the bases of the columns were chosen from designs from Kythrea, Lamboussa and Nicosia. The proportions of the tower at the centre of the building were taken from the Colossi Castle. In the original drawing, the roof of the castle was supposed to be made with tiles in the shape of pyramid, but for certain practical reasons and in order to give a Byzantine element to the building it was replaced by a dome.

On the southern side of the building two series of humorous gutters are protruding. The lower four represent human forms. The personify the overall foreman, the chief carpenter and the “ unknown worker”. The other four gutters, who are higher up, represent the characteristic animals of Cyprus, the ox, the donkey, the camel and the sheep. For the general construction of the building special stone ( porous limestone) from Yerolakkos for the pale grey-yellow colour, its hardness and strength. For the interior ( fire-places, staircases etc) limestone from the Limassol area were used.

In the construction of the Government House, particular attention was given to timber. Timber from Cypriot forests ( eucalyptus, pine, plane tree, cypress, walnut tree, mulberry) and from various parts of the British Empire, such as Burma and Canada. The door of the main entrance was created on the model of the Monastery of St. Chrysostomos at the Pentadaktylos mountain range. Every plate was formed by at least 288 small wooden pieces form six different trees, joined together without using nails or screws. In this way a possible twisting was avoided. The carved roof beams and the reed mats of the roof were clearly of Cypriot origin. The supports of the roof- beams in the main rooms were removed from the old house which was demolished. Certain decorative elements inside the building and mainly the staircase leading to the upper floor, were copies of ancient artefacts, while the curtains were hand embroidered with Cypriot decorative motifs.

Following Cyprus’ independence and the departure of the British Governor in 1960 , the Government House became the official Presidential Palace of the Republic of Cyprus.

The Presidential Palace was destroyed on July 15, 1974 during the coup against Ethnarch Makarios. Everything was burned down, except the standing walls which were damaged in the fire.

The Palace was rebuilt a few years later with financial aid from Greece and since 1979 it is used as the office and the residence of the President of the Republic.

Presidents of the Republic of Cyprus since 1960:

Archbishop Makarios III 16/08/1959 – 03/08/1977

Spyros Kyprianou            03/09/1977 – 21/02/1988

George Vassiliou             21/02/1988 – 14/02/1993

Glafkos Clerides             14/02/1993 – 16/02/2003

Tassos Papadopoulos   16/02/2003 – 24/02/2008

Demetris Christofias     24/02/2008 – 28/02/2013

Nikos Anastasiades       01/03/2013 –

* During the 1974 coup, Nikos Sampson was proclaimed as President of Cyprus for eight days (15 – 23/7/1974).